In an industry where time is money, creating clear project deliverables is key to getting what you want while preserving your budget (and sanity). From requesting a text update to the inclusion of a new feature, creating clear and detailed deliverables up front will help you in the end.
- When applicable, start with an overview of the issue at hand. The more clearly we understand the PROBLEM you’re facing, the more accurately we can help find a SOLUTION.
- Make sure deliverables and steps are listed out clearly and concisely.
- Create a bulleted list of features/requests/updates.
- Make sure everyone is using the same nomenclature. Avoid vague words; be as direct as possible.
- As often as possible, include the URLs of any pages you’re referring to as well as screen shots highlighting the areas to be discussed.
- When sending content (e.g. text, images, videos):
- Organize the files as clearly as possible.
- Name your files according to the name of the piece of content.
- Send text content in a Word document.
- Title your emails with a relevant name to the update you are requesting.
- Send one email per request and put all updates and replies in that thread.
- It is always preferred for a Project Manager to have one main point of contact at an organization so to avoid any miscommunication between stakeholders.
These may seem like little things, but they can make a world of difference in helping achieve your goals while saving time and money along the way.